Splitsville Game: Coping with Separation & Divorce
- Help children navigate the challenges of separation/ divorce
- Presented in a positive and optimistic tone!
- For 2-5 players
- Grades: 1-5
Children are faced with many challenges when parents separate or divorce. Splitsville introduces children to the six skills they will need to successfully navigate a parental separation. The game uses ice cream sundae pieces to teach important coping skills.
At the start of the game and along the way they read poems on road signs that bolster confidence and set a positive, optimistic tone to the game. Players start with a sundae cup and add all parts of the sundae by spinning and answering questions in each category. Each delicious topping helps teach an important coping skill, and each topping is represented by a deck of cards.
Bendable Banana cards teach the importance of flexibility as children adjust to the rules, routines, and expectations of different households. Cool Down Ice Cream cards introduce calming techniques and Ooey Gooey Feelings cards give children healthy ways to manage upset feelings. Rainbow Sprinkles cards remind youngsters to look for the positives in their daily lives, while Nutty Nuts cards encourage children to talk out problems if setbacks do occur. Finally, Cheerful Cherry cards promote a favorable attitude toward the future. The game is completed when all parts of the sundae have been collected.
Learning Objectives - Players will:
- recognize how rules, routines, and expectations vary among different households;
- identify trusted people to rely upon during times of change;
- learn relaxation strategies and healthy ways to manage upset feelings;
- communicate to trusted adults if feelings become overwhelming;
- look for and appreciate the positives in daily life;
- identify aspects of life that can be controlled;
- recognize the benefits of focusing on positive thoughts, feelings, people, and events.